As we hope you realise by now, here at ClothSpot we like a fabric with something to say for itself. It doesn’t have to shout it loudly, much less reduce itself to coarse language – however we do encourage a bit of edge. This twill wool suiting fabric is a great example of just such an edge. Lots of diagonal twill-woven edge, to be precise.
The twill weave on this wool mix fabric isn’t a subtle affair. It’s quite distinctly ribbed – and gives our twill wool suiting fabric a sense of structure and substance, as well as an identity, that it wouldn’t otherwise have. The ribbing doesn’t make it at all stiff – this is a fabric that drapes and folds quite happily – although with a slight resistance. We like to think it moves with decorum. It doesn’t waft but it’s quite a graceful fabric which holds a shape very well. We loved folding and pleating it gently on the stand – it was surprisingly pliable but still extremely well-behaved. This is a medium-weight suiting fabric – the kind that would take you across seasons very nicely. It has good opacity and a soft handle – rendering it perfectly serviceable for trousers (although as for any medium-weight wool, a half-lining might be advisable).
We’ve called it an olive brown as compared to some browns, it is heading off into the greener end of the brown spectrum. Somehow however it’s still a fairly warm brown. We’d definitely suggest requesting a free sample if you’re matching anything since try as we might, we can be sure how our images will be displaying on your screen. Also since we had to photograph our twill wool suiting fabric in artificial light, it’s perhaps appearing to be a little more reflective than it is reality, since the ribbed texture does catch the light more than a flat surface might.
We found that our twill wool suiting fabric picked up the soft olive-green leaves in our Muted medieval meanderings on black crepe-de-chine fabric – we think it works very nicely with those muted shades, as we hope you can see in our image. Likewise, if you’re looking for a classy lining, we think our Deep olive-brown stretch satin lining fabric would be a perfect accompaniment.
We mentioned this is a wool mix – and indeed it is – however it has a high wool content at 70%, with polyester making up the remaining 30%, adding some resilience.
Our soft brown ribbed twill wool suiting fabric is an expansive 155cm wide – that’s a whole lot of attitude in every metre.