Style Crisis: When life happens

Hyachinth style crisis life happens

By now I’ve come to terms with the fact that my Style Crisis is an ongoing project. Despite evidence of progress, there’s obviously not going to be an overnight transformation in my personal style – I’m not a chrysalis about to burst open revealing a glamorous butterfly. I’ve discovered that dressing to reflect myself is something that requires practice, just like everything else. And just like everything else, it’s subject to disruption.

Sometimes, life happens. Which quite literally, it just has.

I tend to be a bit cautious when writing my blog posts. I’ve tentatively learned to expose myself on these pages – and you’ve all been fabulous as I’ve shared my thought processes, successes, discoveries and on several occasions, my sheer idiocy. Generally though, unless friends and family knowingly (or rashly) step into the limelight, I’m reluctant to implicate them publicly.

In order to explain the absence of my Style Crisis chronicles since Christmas however, I hope you won’t mind if I pull back that net curtain a little. Almost 18 years ago my chap and I became a family overnight as the wearers of three pairs of red wellingtons ricocheted into our lives. Adoption meant that we accelerated from 0-60 on the family rollercoaster – and we continue to be amazed, often confounded and frequently thrilled at the ride.

As our children have grown up and (almost) moved on, I’ve been equally thrilled to throw myself into growing ClothSpot and make no mistake – there’s plenty more to come. However at the beginning of last week we were completely blown away when our eldest daughter gave birth to our first grandchild.

Now – obviously that’s not something that happens every day (understatement) and I was so proud and honoured to be present at his birth. Mother and baby are doing very well, I’m delighted to report. However it’ll come as no surprise to learn that although ClothSpot’s day-to-day activities have continued apace with orders being processed as usual (thank you, Judy!) and lots of new fabrics appearing, I’ve had precious little time to explore my personal style.

(That’s excluding the hour or so I spent at the weekend helping my overlocker to chew up a perfectly lovely piece of jersey. Please, let’s move on…nothing to see here ?)

You’ve all been so fabulously supportive, helping my blog to find its feet and supporting ClothSpot, so I thought that a little explanation might be due.

Over the next few weeks things will be getting back to (what passes as) normal – and we’ve got lots of plans and goodies to share as we head into spring.

Have a lovely weekend – and I promise I’ll be back with more in the usual combination of embarrassment and inspiration before you know it!

14 thoughts on “Style Crisis: When life happens

1. Margaret C says:

Congratulations on the addition to your family. Grandchildren are a wonderful gift. Looking forward to continuing with you on your Style crisis journey. I’m 67 and I’m still on mine.

2. Jan says:

Oh Alice welcome to the club many, many congratuations to everyone, parents, grandparents, pets. I had started to wonder if you were still on this planet but what a wondrous reason for your absence. As a woman who just didn’t get the desperation of some friends to be a Grandma and quite frankly was bored out of her skull when they wittered on add infanitum about their grandchildren, I never ever expected the tsunami of love that washed over us (himself is worse than me, one of us has to maintain a degree of decorum) when on Christmas Eve five years ago our first grandson arrived. He was, still is and always will be the best Christmas present we will ever receive. Nothing prepares you for becoming a parent and to me its not growing a baby inside you it is every step along the way, all the love, the ups and the downs after they join your family that makes you worthy of that title. Never mind a personal style crisis that will wait enjoy your new family member, huge congratulations.

Jan thank you so very much for your kind wishes. I promise I had gone nowhere – I just needed to come up for air! As I mentioned elsewhere I really wasn’t expecting to be a grandmother and the word still seems to describe someone else and not me at all! However we’re rolling with it and it’s absolutely lovely to see our daughter and her partner so besotted with their new arrival. Who is of course, totally adorable ? if I say so myself. Your lovely sentiments are incredibly touching – thank you very much indeed – we plan to do lots of ‘enjoying’ I promise you!

3. Christina Ivett says:

Wow! What a touching post. I have no children or grandchildren but they must be a great joy for you. I have had my overlocker chew up fabric. Ha ha. Style? I keep telling my friends, you have to adapt your style to your changing body shape as you mature …. and what better way to change your style than to make your own clothes!! X

Hello Christina – thank you so much for your lovely comments. I’m still getting over the surprise of having children let alone a grandchild but we’re enjoying the ride. I completely agree that sewing helps with style as we get older – it seems just when I think I’ve caught up with my body’s latest practical joke, it pulls another one on me. It’s a non-stop race, apparently!

Hi Alice, congratulations. I’ve missed your blogs but can understand you’re excited at becoming a grandparent for the first time. I’m still waiting to become one but feel that may never occur☹️. So on with the sewing and you’re funny, entertaining and amusing blogs.

Hello Di – thank you very much for your kind wishes – and it’s heartening to hear that I was missed! It’s all been very exciting but things are settling down now – I’m just about caught up. I *really* wasn’t expecting to be a grandmother at any time – certainly not in the near future – I was still busy emptying the nest so to speak 😉 However now it’s happened I couldn’t be happier – although I hope to do plenty more on the blogging-for-entertainment front too, I promise!

5. Marion George says:

It’s all been said above but I have to put my penny worth in. Congratulations to your family and welcome to the world no 1 grandson. Of course I have to welcome you to the sisterhood of glamorous grannies, which we all must be otherwise we wouldn’t be reading this. Style crisis, what style crisis, we are all just improving our style. I’m looking forward to your plans and by the way I’m addicted , I’m on to my third slinky blouse and maybe number four, unless I change my mind. Who said Style Crisis? Ha!

Ah Marion – thank you very much indeed. No. 1 Grandson is feeding for Britain and getting very chubby. Occasionally he sleeps too…just not quite as often as he might!
      I’m looking forward to planning some spring sewing now. Although I might not always get the style right, I’m all the better for being prodded, encouraged and dared by all of you – keep up the good work, please!!

6. Chris says:

How exciting! Congratulations. I too became a grandmother at the end of last year – twice! My son and his partner had a son, followed four weeks later by a daughter for my daughter and her partner. I too was present at my grand-daughter’s birth – what an experience. Am now busy making bridesmaid dresses for my son’s wedding in May. Have not given too much thought to my own style crisis. By the time of the wedding I will be 60. How did that happen?! Do I do glamourous granny, magnificent mother or sexy sixty? Hmmm will have to give that some thought. By the way, have just bought a Lidl special Singer overlocker for £80. LOVE IT!!!

Thank you very much indeed, Chris – and many congratulations in return! My goodness – you had a busy month – your extended family must be reeling (and not a little sleep-deprived!)
      Good luck with the bridesmaid dresses – that’s quite a commitment – a responsibility too – you’re very brave.
      I’ve yet to encounter anyone who’s quite sure how they got to be the age they are but one thing’s for sure – glamorous, magnificent and sexy are all options – and all at the same time if you so choose!
      Lidl were doing overlockers for £80? Blimey – how do they do it. I hope you managed to pick up some of their chocolate while you were in there – have fun overlocking and being an amazing multiple-grandmother – thank you again!